Ruhr2NorthSeaChallenge combines a sporting challenge with high-quality catering and modern technology to create a colourful lifestyle event for everyone: from the Ruhr to the North Sea – 300 km in one day!
It takes place every year on the Saturday in June closest to the longest day of the year – in 2020, that’s on 20 June. The event starts at dawn, at 4.30 am. Riding at an average speed of around 18 km/h (plus two hours of breaks), the participants will reach the North Sea at nightfall (around 11 pm). In other words, the R2NSC is not a race, but is held in line with the motto “the journey is the destination”. With that in mind, there is no ranking and also no general time tracking. Navigation is ‘electronic’ – either using a bike GPS or the R2NSC app; in that way, each cyclist knows his or her own times.
The almost exactly 300 km long route is fairly flat, almost completely paved and suitable for all kinds of bikes and any speed. Racing bikes will take a slightly different route to avoid frequent bends and bumpy road sections as far as possible; for all other cyclists, experiencing nature and culture will be a major focal point. To minimise risks, the route will be exclusively on bike paths and small roads and wearing helmets is mandatory. There are 8 service points providing sufficient food, drinks, WCs and other services. ‘Stranded cyclists’ can take the pick-up bus to get to the North Sea and use the transfer bus to get back to the starting point. And once the goal is reached: raise your bike in salute to the North Sea!
The first R2NSC was held on 21/06/2013 with one participant, since then, the number of participants has doubled at least every year. In 2019, nearly 700 cyclists were at the start. This year, around 1000 cyclists are expected to take part in the R2NSC.
- 8 service points (0, 50, 100, 150, 200, 240, 270, 300 km)
- Plenty of food and drinks (breakfast, lunch, coffee & cake, energy bars, snacks, drinks [also isotonic], dinner with free drink at the destination)/li>
- Special motivation drink at 270 km
- Registration documents by postal mail
- E-bike charging stations at 50, 100, 150, 200, 240, 270 km
- R2NSC route in GPX file format
- R2NSC app (for navigation and more)
- My Tours website (for team building etc.)
- First aid stations at 150, 200, 240, 270, 300 km
- Pick-up bus
- Photos, photos, photos!
- Certificate with finish line photo
Optional (subject to charge)
- Hand luggage at the 100, 200 and 300 km service points
- Transfer bus from the destination back to Duisburg
- Hotel bus from the finish line to the hotel
- Late ferry from Bensersiel to Langeoog
- Cycling shirt (available from 01/11/2019)
- Finisher shirt
Entry fee, number of participants, deadline
registration deadline 31/03/2020
Registration in our shop.
Starting point and time
The Ruhr2NorthSeaChallenge 2020 starts at the MSV Schauinsland-Reisen-Arena in Duisburg. The event starts at 4.30 on 20 June 2020.
The final destination of the Ruhr2NorthSeaChallenge 2020 is Bensersiel Harbour. From there the ferry runs several times daily to Langeoog – ideal for a relaxing North Sea getaway after the event!